The St. John the Baptist Parish Public School District will accept applications for its STEM Magnet High School Program through Dec. 7
Interested parents are invited to tour the school Nov. 30, Dec. 3 and Dec. 7 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Parents wishing to attend these open houses should arrive at the STEM Magnet Program (1880 Highway 44, Reserve), park in the gravel parking lot to the left of the school and go to the front office to check in. School administrators will be available to provide a tour of the program and answer any questions.
The STEM Magnet High School Program offers an advanced option for high school students who wish to prepare for possible careers in science, technology, engineering or math. This program seeks to inspire creativity, promote leadership, and cultivate well-rounded, lifelong learners who are problem solvers. Together with other academically advanced students, students will be challenged through a rigorous program of instruction that will prepare him/her for success in college and beyond.
A few of the specific benefits that STEM Magnet students receive are:
- Opportunity to earn college credits through a partnership with LSU
- Working with highly-trained teachers who are qualified to deliver college-level instruction
- Enrollment in one of three pre-university pathways, including Pre-engineering, Digital Design, and Biomedical Sciences
- Numerous extracurricular opportunities, including participating in athletics at the student’s home school
The STEM Magnet High School Program is open to students currently in grades 7-10. Students must meet at least ONE of the following criteria:
- Score Mastery or Advanced on any Math or Science LEAP from last school year
- Score Good or Excellent on any Math or Science EOC Exam (Algebra I, Geometry, or Biology) from last school year
- Score at the 75th percentile or above on a nationally normed Math or Science test (e.g., ACT Aspire)
- Have a minimum of a 3.0 cumulative GPA in Math and Science from the last school year
- Be classified as gifted according to IDEA regulations
- Have completed a Magnet program in St. John the Baptist Parish (either John L. Ory or Garyville Magnet)
Admitted students will be notified by Jan. 22.
You can find out more information about SJBP’s STEM Magnet High School Program
by visiting its website at stem.stjohn.k12.la.us
, following its Facebook page
, on Twitter
or by contacting the STEM Magnet Program directly at 1880 Highway 44, Reserve, LA 70084 or (985) 479-8338.