Please see our current learning model below:
UPDATE - December 17, 2020
Meal Delivery -
Beginning in January, we will offer home delivery of meals for students enrolled in 100 percent virtual learning. These meals will be delivered by our bus drivers on Wednesdays between 7 a.m. and noon. To receive deliveries in January, you must register by Jan. 3. For more information and to register, visit https://www.stjohn.k12.la.us/apps/form/mealdelivery
UPDATE - December 9, 2020
COVID-19 Quarantine Guidelines - The Louisiana Department of Health and the Louisiana Department of Education are adopting the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s recently updated recommendations regarding options to shorten quarantine due to COVID-19 exposure. These changes are:
- Close contacts of an individual infected with COVID-19 can end their quarantine after Day 10 post-exposure without testing and if no symptoms have been reported during daily monitoring.
- Close contacts of an individual infected with COVID-19 can end their quarantine after Day 7 post-exposure with a negative COVID test and if no symptoms were reported during daily monitoring.
Quarantine can only be discontinued at these times if all of the following criteria are also met:
- Daily symptom monitoring has shown no evidence of COVID-19 infection.
- Daily symptom monitoring takes place through what would have been Day 14 of quarantine.
- The person is counseled regarding the need to adhere through Day 14 of quarantine to social distancing, avoiding crowded indoor spaces, hand washing and wearing face coverings. They should be advised that if any symptoms develop, they should immediately self-isolate and contact the local public health authority or their healthcare provider to report this change in clinical status.
UPDATE - November 3, 2020
- Transportation - Scholars transitioning from virtual learning to in-person learning will be picked up at the same bus stop as last year if they are returning to the same school this year. Virtual scholars who transitioned to another school, first-year kindergarten students, and all scholars who are new to our district should call their school's office for transportation information.
UPDATE - September 21, 2020
- Attendance/Discipline - A one-pager for parents regarding attendance and discipline is now available.
- Hybrid Calendar - A full year calendar for hybrid model students has been added. Please note that this calendar is subject to change.
UPDATE - September 11, 2020
- Phase 3 - Following the Governor’s announcement that Louisiana is now in Phase 3, the St. John the Baptist Parish Public School District will continue to follow the guidelines provided by the Louisiana Department of Health, Louisiana Department of Education and the CDC and will continue to monitor, modify, and optimize our plans to help mitigate the spread of COVID-19. We will continue with the plan we currently have in place and any decisions made to transition student schedules will be carefully communicated to all. As always, the health and safety of both students and employees remain a top priority. We thank each of you for your continued patience as we continue to strive for excellence in the midst of this pandemic.
- Virtual Fridays - To allow for fewer contact days between students and staff, and to allow for deep cleaning of buildings, hybrid model students will not attend class in person on Fridays. All students must log on at the start of each class period. Teachers have the autonomy to decide based on student need, the focus on Virtual Friday:
- RTI (response to intervention) support
- Small Group instruction
- Re-teach skills
- Parent meetings during office hours
- Small Group with a focus on subgroups (SpEd, EL)
High school students are still required to log on for the first 45 minutes and elementary students are required to log on for the first 30 minutes of each class before dismissing students to complete asynchronous assignments using Tier 1 Curriculum. Hybrid students without access to technology will be provided with learning packets designed using Tier 1 Curriculum to be returned on their next school day.
UPDATE - September 8, 2020
- Transportation - Our Transportation Hotline will be open Sept. 9-23 from 6 a.m. to 5 p.m. with additional staff on hand to answer bus-related questions. Callers are invited to use the hotline by calling 985-536-7790. Transportation procedures and instructions on how to access student bus information can be found here.
- Bell times - Bell times remain the same as last year.
UPDATE - September 4, 2020
- Virtual Laptop Pickup - Virtual Learning Program students must pick up their laptops by Friday, Sept. 11. Any laptops not picked up by Sept. 11 will be distributed to hybrid model students.
- Hybrid September Calendar - Please see the calendar below for the schedule for hybrid students for September.
UPDATE - August 31, 2020
UPDATE - August 28, 2020
- New Start Dates - Due to the cancellations of orientations and professional development due to Hurricanes Marco and Laura, the start dates for classes have been revised. See the new start dates listed at the top of this page. Cancelled orientations will be rescheduled Aug. 28-Sept. 2. Please see your school's website for your new orientation information.
- Face Masks - Please note that the CDC does not recommend use of masks with one-way valves or vents nor the use of neck gaiters as a substitute for cloth coverings.
UPDATE - July 29, 2020
- New Students - Students new to the district are asked to register at the Child Welfare and Attendance Office located at the Central Office, 110 W. 10th St., Reserve. Upon registering, parents will be able to select either the 100 percent virtual option or the hybrid model. Registration documents can be downloaded from our General Registration page.
UPDATE - July 24, 2020
- Virtual Fridays – To allow for fewer contact days between students and staff and to allow for deep cleaning of buildings, hybrid model students will not attend classes in person on Fridays. Virtual Fridays may be used for small group lessons, RTI support, and office hours for teachers. Students will either attend Monday and Wednesday (Green Platoon) or Tuesday and Thursday (Gold Platoon) and attend virtually the other three days of the week. Hybrid model students without access to technology will be provided with learning packets designed using Tier 1 Curriculum to be returned on their next school day. PreK-3rd grade students will still attend in person five days a week.
- Class information – Students, both hybrid and virtual, will be grouped together into classes lead by a designated teacher from their home school site. This teacher will determine the daily schedule for his or her class.
- Dress code – All students in grades 3-12 must wear face masks. Masks are recommended, but not required, for students in grades 2 and under. Students must have a solid-colored mask. Your school may require a certain color based on its individual dress code policy. Virtual students are expected to dress appropriately for a school setting. Pajamas, robes and slippers are not allowed. See more dress code guidance for the Virtual Learning Program.
- Parent/Student Orientation and Training – Orientation for parents and students in the Virtual Learning Program and for hybrid model students in grades 4-12 will take place Aug. 10-14. Orientation will include distribution of laptops for virtual students, familiarizing families with the Microsoft Teams platform and signing the District Technology Contract. Your school will notify you of your scheduled date and time.
- Safety – Signage is being placed throughout buildings to direct students through schools, designating traffic flow, entrance/exits and proper social distancing.
- Transcripts – Class of 2020 graduates who need a copy of their transcript should contact their school counselor.
- Teachers – All teachers will participate in COVID-19 related safety training at their school sites on Aug. 4. Employees will also complete the online SafeSchools training. Teacher professional development will take place Aug. 5-7, with Aug. 6-7 specifically focusing on Microsoft Teams training.
UPDATE - July 17, 2020
The Return-to-School Plan
put together by the Strong Start Commission Panel is now available. Please take time to read through this plan as it will answer many of your questions regarding protocols, procedures, virtual/in-person learning and more.